If you love learning and have a passion for science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, you can become a valuable member of our Volunteer Program! As the national memorial to the Space Shuttle Columbia, the Columbia Memorial Space Center is dedicated to preserving the history of Downey’s aerospace program by inspiring people of all ages to learn and explore through our interactive exhibits and areas. As a volunteer, you have the opportunity to assist and interact with guests during field trips, summer camps, student workshops, classes, and special events.
The Columbia Memorial Space Center is always looking for friendly faces and helpful hands to keep things running smoothly during operating hours and special event times. As a CMSC volunteer, you may:
- Receive community service hours
- Gain problem solving readiness
- Improve communication skills
- Connect with mentors from diverse backgrounds
- Build a stronger resume
- Participate in special CMSC events (That means lots of fun!)
- Contribute in teaching young people about careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
We welcome volunteers who are a sophomore in High School and higher
Download our volunteer application form below and return it to us by mail, email, or in-person.
All potential volunteers are required to do the following:
- Prove they are a Sophomore in High school or older
- Pass a Fingerprinting/Background Check (if 18 or older)
- Commit to volunteering for at least 6 months
- Must volunteer for 4 months to receive compensation (Letters of Recommendation, Hours)
- Must have a valid e-mail address to receive schedule or other important information
Applicants and current volunteers can contact us at VolunteerServices@DowneySpaceCenter.org, by phone at (562) 231-1200, or in-person during operating hours.